Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Week One in Samoa

It has been a little over one week and by this time, I'd usually be heading home on most of the mission trips I've previously been on. Quite the opposite, though, I just officially got started. Our first VBS started yesterday afternoon after the last two missionaries arrived Sunday night.

I was fortunate enough, though, to get to fly in early. This week for me has just been a chance to acclimate and explore the island of American Samoa and begin to build relationships with those around me.


Here is a bit of what happened and what I've learned in Week 1:

----------------------------- 1 -----------------------------

The people are BIG here. And some of them are solid muscle. Note this dude's bicep which is the size of my head!?!





----------------------------- 2 -----------------------------

Their hearts are big too - especially the kids who are SO loving!!!



These pics were taken during their last week of school; I just got to observe and hang out and play with them which was sooooooooo wonderful!



----------------------------- 3 -----------------------------

They have great sportsmanship. I watched their softball games. It was the sweetest thing: everyone cheers on everyone, regardless of your team. The players would high five the other team's players for good moves or say "Good try" when they missed a catch or struck out or whatever. It isn't as competitive and mean like in the states where you are made fun of or put on the bench if you're not the best... too bad I didn't play sports in Samoa growing up  ;)






----------------------------- 4 -----------------------------

My leg has been healing; not a lot of infection, praise the Lord!


It mostly just bruised, even where his paw got me on my upper calf. 





----------------------------- 5 -----------------------------

I played dodge ball which is pretty much their favorite game!




----------------------------- 6 -----------------------------

I went to two graduations which were beautiful. There were lots of people and even more excitement :) Here are a couple things that are different from the states:
  • They give out candy leis - a whole lot of them
  • They wear the balloons instead of holding them; normally they tie it to the lei
  • Guys will cry; everyone was emotional, even the men
  • They run very long with several speakers, often lasting most of the day





----------------------------- 7 -----------------------------

I helped out with their school's field day with games like the balloon toss, over under and tug of war. Larry even got in on the tug of war!







----------------------------- 8 -----------------------------

We went to the market Friday night for their "First Fridays" event. There were craft booths, live music, local food and I tasted my first fresh coconut. The guys literally pulled it out of the box and sliced a hole and then popped in a straw. It wasn't super sweet but it was pretty refreshing :)




That is just a taste but we did lots of other stuff, including buy supplies, paint and decorate for VBS.

I'll try to write a post again soon to update on VBS.

If you pray, I'd appreciate your prayers as we begin our ministry. Even though it has been raining and we haven't been able to go out to the villages as much to invite people, we still had about 80 kids tonight. Pray that they return, there isn't a language barrier, we all have fun, stay safe and share Christ and his love. Thanks!!!

1 comment:

  1. I would have picked you for my team anyway!Hang in there, gal!

    ReplyDelete