Monday, December 27, 2010

I Think I'm in Love...

... with slam poetry.

It is intense, powerful performance poetry by people who have clever, often cutting commentary on their lives and society. I cannot get enough of it. 

Seriously, my mom - just today - diagnosed me as addicted to YouTube.

I simply can't help it. A video of one poet leads me to another and then another and before I know it, I have spent an hour watching people "spit their rhymes."

Perhaps y'all remember my former blog post where I gushed over Rafael Casal. My crush continues, especially after watching his new stuff: "Ego."

But I've gained a new crush: Chris Tse.

He has countless impressive poems but here are two of my favorites. One is about ending stereotypes. The other one, though I am sad that he had so much content to rhyme about was incredibly well-written and I agree with his desire to move from hatred to love: "I'm a Christian, I'm Sorry."

Yet another crush developed when I discovered George Watsky.

He was precious and proud in his defense first of high school virgins and then lisps. I LOVE IT!!!! There truly is beauty in owning what others might label imperfections.

Beyond the boys though, there were also some brilliant female poets.

Katie Makkai had a poignant poem called "Pretty" about beauty expectations and happiness. The last minute is particularly fabulous!

Also, Sarah Kay had a beautiful poem about her future daughter.

Then there was Shannon Matesky who had a clever poem about Facebook and Myspace.

Lastly, there was Jasmine Mans who delivered a very sad but powerful poem about rape and family.

I hope y'all enjoyed these poems. I've watched many, MANY more... ahhh, the beauty of time to kill on Christmas break :)

If I find any more great ones, I'll share them. Until then, if you've got time to kill, I encourage you to start your own YouTube addiction to explore slam poetry and find your own favorites...

No comments:

Post a Comment