Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Barbie Syndrome... even for boys

I have a love/hate relationship with Barbie.

I do like her, believe me. I had what would probably be considered too many Barbie things growing up:

  • I had a small army of nearly 50 (k, maybe that is an exaggeration... 30?) Barbies - men, women, even retro ones - some of my aunts' dolls from the 70s that my Granny kept. 

  • Then there was the hot pink, remote-controlled convertible. Oh yes! 

  • And, the crowning glory: my 3-story, bright pink Barbie Dream-House complete with an elevator and a cat that purred from the kitchen sink windowsill. No lie.

My Barbies - even just one - provided endless hours of entertainment. 


And they also provided 

the breeding ground for body and beauty insecurities

For me and nearly every other girl in America.

It is no surprise really.

BARBIE WAS THE TOP-SELLING TOY IN THE 20th CENTURY!?! (1)

So she affected a lot of girls. But not in a good way.

Check out this comparison of the average woman and Barbie: (1)

                      Height:             5'4"                            6'
                Weight:            145 lbs.                      101 lbs. 
                Dress Size:       11-14                         
                Bust:                 36-37"                        39"
                Waist:               29-31"                        19"
                Hips:                 40-42"                       33"

Frightening right?

A more accurate Barbie might look like this: 





But would we still play with her? Want to dress her up? 

I think there should be a balance between unattainable beauty standards but also health. I'm not sure that the above picture strikes that balance but it certainly does make a point: 

Barbies don't look like real women. 

This is being dubbed "Barbie Syndrome."(1)

The odd thing is that it has started to affect boys as well. 

It seems their dolls (excuse me: "action figures"), have set some pretty high body standards as well. 

"Male action figures have grown increasingly muscular over the years. GI Joes, for example, have biceps that are twice as large as those of a typical man and larger than those of any known bodybuilder. These action figures (and comic strip heroes) put boys at risk of developing the 'Barbie Syndrome' - unrealistic expectations for their bodies. As a result, some researchers maintain, increasing numbers of men are becoming preoccupied with working out and taking dangerous drugs such as anabolic steroids" (1) emphasis added

Good, maybe people will pay attention to the problem now. 

Don't get me wrong, I still wear pink and high heels and I wouldn't mind driving a pink convertible around BUT I'd like to do that without worrying about blowing away in the wind because I don't weigh enough to be fully human and healthy. 

Also, I'd love for my future daughter one day to have a Barbie Dream-House and all that I had but 

my hope is that...

her Barbies will provide a realistic body image. 

Further, I hope that her Barbie will be arriving at her Dream-House, getting back from some fabulous job where she will be far too busy planning exciting, intelligent and more important things than to have to waste brain energy worrying over whether her business suit makes her butt look big or something shallow like that.

(1) These notes were taken from my textbook: Marriages & Families: Changes, Choices, and Constraints by Nijole V. Benokraitis, 7th ed, 2011,  p 116-117

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, you are always so articulate. I absolutely love reading your opinions and research on this subject!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my momma let me play with baby dolls but never barbie. go mom! (but then i guess you could say that baby dolls are just domesticating baby girls... oh it IS endless.)

    nice posty,

    kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! It is so true that we are brought up thinking that we are supposed to behave, dress, and look a certain way and a great deal of it is because of the toys that we play with as children. I had barbies but personally I did not like to play with them, I would cut their hair off haha But have you looked in the Barbie aisle recently? One of my friends and I did the other week and I was horrified with what I saw. Of course Barbie is still way too skinny but now her clothes are trashy, she has make up, and she looks like something off of Jersey Shore or a Bratz doll. It makes me wonder what our options will be for our children one day...Guess mine will be watching Disney movies....

    ReplyDelete