Saturday, January 14, 2012

Baptized in Sweet Tea: a book review

Baptized in Sweet Tea.

I didn't write that book, but.... (to be read in a slow, southern drawl) .... I declare, I sure do wish I had.

It is by far one of the best books I have read in a long time.

It captures the south in such a vivid and heart-warming way. It makes me love being born here even more than I already did!

The book is an easy read with pretty pictures mixed in between a collection of columns written by Ken Burger.

He covers topics like seersucker suits, college football, things my mother used to say, going home for funerals, hot cars and hot summers, the art of using cusswords, the art of returning phonecalls, and sounds of a southern summer.

Those are just a few of his fantastic angles used to capture the southern life.

He has a way of writing that is funny and each person or place he describes seems familiar.

Whether you were born and raised here - or just wish you were - be sure to pick up a copy of this book.

Some part of it, I assure you, will reach out and grab your senses whether in your memory, your present or your fantasy of life as you'd like it to be.

Oh, and be sure to pour a glass of sweet tea as you read it ;)


2 comments:

  1. Dear Southern Belle, just a note to thank you for the kind words about my book, "Baptized in Sweet Tea." You captured the essence and I appreciate your mention in the blog. FYI, if your readers would like a signed and personalized copy, please have them check out www.kenburger.com. Thanks again, Ken Burger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr. Burger,

      You are VERY welcome. Thank you so much for the comment. I was surprised and thrilled to see that you found my blog; that is impressive that you not only keep track of but also respond to your reviews.

      I am glad that you feel I captured the essence of your wonderful book. Though I already own a copy, is there any chance I could still get it signed? Will you be doing a signing soon in Charleston for the second printing of the book?

      Thanks Again,
      Southern Belle

      Delete