Monday, October 12, 2009

Porch Pondering

Porch sitting is a sport of sorts in South Carolina – especially when coupled with people watching which is an undisputed sport all over. With this lovely weather lately, I have been honing in on my skills in both porch sitting and people watching.

While doing so, I happened to notice a gender difference. Before this cold weather sets in, several runners have been taking advantage of baring all that they can – guys without any shirts, girls in just a sports bra. Now that is not what I am complaining about ;)

What bugged me is I notice on a regular basis that the girls get honked at and whistles or comments from cars while guys might get a few head turns and perhaps a very occasional honk. Why is this?

Trust me, the guys look just as good to warrant the attention but it hardly ever comes. Why this double standard?

Perhaps girls are always passive and accept it. I am a runner and have countless times heard a rude comment or a honk but I have NEVER flipped the bird or yelled or anything to fight back. Furthermore, I have NEVER EVER honked or made any rude comments at guys.

I would prefer that the guys would quit with their comments and honks but in the mean time since that is unlikely to happen in the near future what if we were to give the guys a taste of their own medicine. Would they just take a comment or honk as an ego stroke or feel objectified or not even care?

I generally don’t follow the eye-for-an-eye theology but this time I believe it could do one of two things: it could either empower us where two wrongs do make a right or it could disgust us enough in doing that to others that we will be less passive in accepting it ourselves.

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes…

No comments:

Post a Comment