Sunday, March 14, 2010

Oops, my Bible Blunder - an awkward update

In keeping with my recent scripture theme, I have a bit of an awkward update.

It is much more light-hearted than my two previous posts and made me laugh so I thought I would share it.

I know it has already been established that I am single, but I don't believe I have yet mentioned that I am bad with numbers and also a Bible study leader. Those are key points to my story...

My Bible Blunder:

I have a new phone and a new phone plan that allows for mass-text messages. Since this upgrade, I have overindulged myself - and possibly annoyed friends and family - with these mass picture/text messages.

Sometimes these messages are practical, like alerting everyone in a group dinner date about what time to meet, etc.

More often than not, however, they are random messages like when I sent out a picture of a very large penis on the projector in my Human Sexuality class one day; I attached a message saying "Look what I walked into for class; just thought I would share the love ;)"

NOTE: I did not send that one to my Bible study girls!

My Bible blunder involved one of these random mass messages.

After reading a lovely devotional about God as love, I thought I would share the scripture with others, including girls that I lead in my Bible study and also my mother.

This is the verse I thought I texted to everyone:

"We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in him. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them."
- 1 John 4:16

Isn't that beautiful? As a hopeless romantic, I thought it was.

This would have been a very sweet, Southern Belle kind of message to send out.

Sadly, that is NOT what I sent out in my message. I am bad with numbers and often mix them up or even occasionally forget them altogether.

This time I forgot a number, a very key number.

I left off the number 1.

As a result, I sent a mass message saying "I love you and so does God. John 4:16."

That verse reads:

"'Go and get your husband,' Jesus told her."

Yes, indeed. It seems the Feminist in me might have made a bit of a Freudian slip on that one ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment