Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wannabe Homemaker in Need of a Handyman...



This is not a personal ad - I promise ;)

BUT, it is a plea.

Gah! It has been soooooooo long since I last posted. I was figuring now that I am out of school, I'd have all of this extra time to write more posts than ever before but... yea, clearly not :/

So what have I been up to? Other than not blogging, obviously ;)

I have been trying to balance 2 jobs, socializing, learning to cook, and finishing moving in to my new place. Plus, I've been trying my hand at homemaking.

While I am happy to report that I am catching on to this whole cooking thing, I am afraid to say that I am failing at the homemaking thing. Well, that might not be quite true: I try to keep things tidy and I have decorated things all matchy-matchy in a cute color scheme BUT I had an epic failure recently:

I was trying to sew some curtains. See, the problem here is that I just bit off more than I could chew... I got a bit too big for my Betty Crocker britches. The Southern Belle in me thought I could handle this. Wrong.

I had the fabric cut and the hem pinned but I couldn't get the sewing machine to work. With the help of a friend I got the machine up and running but then I couldn't get the stitching to work. Stitches were dropped and it just became a tangled mess, clogging up the machine and frustrating me beyond belief. After blowing some steam at the gym I came back and still no luck - not then.... or the next day. Or the next day :(

Perhaps, I'll revoke my previous post...? 

My curtains still sit in the corner :(

I am going to the person I borrowed the machine from tomorrow in hopes that she can help me and give me a lesson in how to be be a real homemaker. Or at least how to be a seamstress!


But that's not all. 

I need a handyman.

I had another recent fail. The Feminist in me doesn't want to admit it. I was trying to be all Miss Independent BUT technology outdid me :(

I bought a universal remote for my tv and thought I could figure it out easy enough. Just read the directions... right? I mean, I have a college degree now, afterall ;)

Unfortunately, my college degree was no good. I spent an hour mashing buttons and inputting codes and reading every single word in the flippin' instructions.

All to no avail.

No matter what I did, the remote wouldn't work. And, to make matters worse, there is no 1-800 customer service number to call. Yes, that should have been red flag number one. But I missed it. Now I'm left with ineffective instructions, no working remote and the urge to throw my remote at my tv.

Sooooooo, I'm in search of a handyman to help me out ;)

I admit my inadequacy in the sewing and technology departments but hopefully soon enough that will change! 

1 comment: