Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Special K Craziness

Let me start by saying that I have a box of Special K in my kitchen right now and I am not hating on their product. Vanilla Almond is delicious.

BUT, their messages are disgusting. I just saw the Christmas one where the mom is doing a craft with her daughter; the phone rings and she stands up with the kiddie chair stuck to her behind. Cute, yes, at first.

However, when you really think about it, what kind of message are they sending? This woman is HARDLY overweight. She looks perfectly fit and healthy but the viewer is supposed to think she is in need of losing weight!?!

What about a woman who is really overweight? Why not show a woman who looks like she might actually need to lose weight?

HOWEVER, I want to repeat my initial statement when I started this post. Kellogs Special K is not awful in taste or intention. In researching this post, I came across a great article of some very positive ads for women. Sadly, I haven't seen any in everyday life, magazines or on tv. The website lists that ad campaign from 1996.

Kellogs, I hope you return to that more positive message. Let's have some more of those become the norm... I agree with your tagline from back then: A Healthy Body Weight Looks Good on Everyone.

Well, your newest Special K commercials show a seemingly healthy body weight. By plugging the Special K Diet, you seem to suggest to your viewers that they should actually be thinner; this is NOT healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment