Thursday, April 29, 2010

I Should Have Been Called Grace: Then at least it could be funny and ironic when I trip/drop things

During Orientation the summer before Freshman year, I got a sheet of the 'Top 50 Things to Do While at CofC.' One of the things on that list was "to go a day without tripping on those damn bricks" as our campus is covered in unevenly settled bricks.

With barely a week remaining of my Junior year, I have yet to accomplish that.

But tripping on the bricks is nothing to me anymore... I don't even get embarrassed or look around when it happens. I just keep trucking on, well-aware of the fact that I am klutzy.

Today, however, I have really outdone myself - far beyond stumbling on bricks:

1)  My laundry was over-flowing so I had a ton to carry back from the laundry room (not located in my building). In my impatience to get finished so I could start studying, I decided I could carry ALL of my stuff back in one load.

I could not.

Both arms were loaded down: t-shirts piled up right below my chin, a jacket laid strategically over my panties and bras that were not even folded but, in my rush, simply wrapped into one of my towels, tucked below the t-shirts. [Yes, I think you know where this is going].

My clothes were piled so high that I could not even see my keys as I played a guessing game trying to insert the correct one into my front door. Just as I found the right one and twisted the key, that movement caused my entire load of FRESHLY-washed laundry to tumble like an avalanche from my arms... panties, socks, gym shorts, t-shirts spilling onto the ground at my doorstep.

What could make this worse, you ask?

An audience.

Not just any audience but an audience of grown men. They had been working in my front yard all morning and had been staring at me as I ran back and forth with dirty clothes, detergent and dryer sheets (hence, the need for my jacket to be strategically placed over my undergarments as a shield from their lingering looks).

Oh yes. They looked on as I, red in the face, scrambled to gather all of my clothes and get inside.

You would think this act was good enough embarrsament for one day, but no, it seems I had not met my klutziness quota quite yet...

2) My second graceful act of the day came as I was walking down a lovely Charleston street to meet a friend of mine to study. I had my bookbag thrown over one shoulder and was just enjoying the sunshine and flowers when I spotted a very attractive guy on the sidewalk about 30 feet in front of me.

A wonderful surprise. I planned on flashing my pearly whites and waving, just keeping it cool. NOTE: I am not good at being cool, especially when I try ;)

When he was no more than five feet in front of me, I could see up close that he was even more attractive... tall, beautiful blue eyes, fit.

If this were a romantic movie, there would have been a catchy love song playing in the background and we would meet and begin our "happily ever after."

But in my life, it always seems that I am in romantic comedies... or maybe just comedies ;)

We were just about to pass each other when I came up by a bicycle locked to a parking meter. One of the straps of my bookbag snagged the bike's handlebars and jerked it off my shoulder, awkwardly whipping me back towards the bike. This killed all coolness or any attempt to smile or wave.

There went that "happily ever after."

Red in the face yet again, I busied myself untangling my bookbag from the bike as Mr. Beautiful walked on by, probably grateful my back was turned so he didn't have to hide a smirk at my mishap.

I am the Queen of Klutzy moments!

I should have been called Grace: Then at least it could be funny and ironic when I trip/drop things...

1 comment: