Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Bachelor is Wrong... Biologically


While at SEWSA, I was speaking to a woman who works at a college. What she could not understand was how many women flocked to and fawned all over the guys on campus.

Assuming it was much like my school where the girls greatly outnumber the guys, I said it was probably just that: the guys were in short supply and high demand so they got the pick of the litter. However, she said her school had an almost even break in the girl to guy ratio.

This started a whole discussion on how society might be leading women and men to believe that regardless of ratios, men still get the pick of the litter.

My favorite quote from this conversation was when she said, "I mean take The Bachelor for example... all those women going after one guy!?! That just doesn't make sense. Even biologically, think about it, a ton of sperm go after only one egg. That's how it should be in life."

Amen, sister. I wish.

Biologically it seems the case. Socially though, it isn't lived out. Women chase after men rather than the other way around... after a certain age anyway.

I recently did lunch with a little girl that I babysit who is 5 AND, she was quick to clarify, a half years old. In our conversation, she mentioned her boyfriend. He is not imaginary and he is not her first. In fact, he is not her second but her third boyfriend. I repeat, she is on her third boyfriend and is not yet six years old!?!

Not to beat a dead horse, but - reminder - I am single. And I am 21. AND, unlike the boys at her school, I do not have guys lined up around the corner for me.

I started to wonder why.

At such a young age without the extensive socialization from more adult movies, tv, etc. in the media, and without caring for any "cootie-spreading" sexual acts, these boys are just responding biologically to go after this lovely little girl in their class.

Sadly, boys my age have been more socialized and I think they have gotten the message through media that goes against biology saying that women should chase after them.

Well, ladies, I say we need to have some self-respect and some self-restraint. Let's stop boosting these boys' egos and quit chasing after them.

We. Are. Worthy. Of. Pursuit.

Let's get back to biology and let them chase after us...

No comments:

Post a Comment