Friday, April 16, 2010

Menstruation: a disclaimer and preview

I suppose I should issue a bit of a disclaimer in that my next post or two will be dealing with menstruation; have no fear there isn't too much detailed biological info and I promise you won't see one drop of blood ;)

I simply have a strange interest in this topic and since it is the 50th anniversary of  the birth control pill in America (at least as approved by the FDA) there has been a lot of discussion in feminist circles around this topic of birth, contraception, menstruation, etc. Basically, I'm trying to assure you I am not the only one who finds this fascinating ;)

Hopefully you will gain a new appreciation, if not fascination, of it in my posts to follow.

Furthermore, it is my wish that this topic - menstruation - will not be so taboo anymore. It is a natural process that allows our species to continue!?!

So, talk about it.

Mothers to daughters, sisters to brothers, girlfriends to boyfriends, wives to husbands, etc. This can work in reverse too; I am sure boys have plenty of questions for us but they are afraid to ask. And we don't share.

In general, our society is almost silent on this topic unless they are making fun of it or accusing women of being moody/emotional, or telling women how to hide/clean it. I don't think this is healthy or accurate.

We need to just put the facts out there. And, because it is a bit of an awkward topic, I plan to infuse a lot of humor with those facts so that it can cut the tension ;)

Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment